Sunday, May 16, 2010

Among the Betrayed by Margaret Peterson Haddix ***


This is the third book in the Shadow Children series. Like all sequels, it's hard to keep up the excitement that the first book had. Ms. Haddix gets around that problem by introducing all new characters in this book, the main one being a child that was in the background of the last book. Now we learn about her story.

Nina is a third child, illegal in this future version of the US. So she has been in hiding at Harlow's School for Girls, along with most of the other students there. But when her first love, Jason, betrays her, Nina's life goes into a downward spiral that ends up with her beaten and in prison, waiting to be executed. When she's given the opportunity to live if she will betray three other third children, Nina faces a difficult decision. Mattias, Percy, and Alia are all younger than her, Alia only being 6. Should she do what she can to stay alive, or should she help these other kids too?

My only criticism of this book has to do with the ending, which if I reveal any of I'll give the story away! Let's just say I'd have been a little more angry with the way I was treated if I were Nina! But otherwise, this is a great book. I can't wait to read the next one!

*******************

As a side note, I tried reading an adult book between this one and my previous post, but I couldn't finish the book! It was The Yiddish Policemen's Union by Michael Chabon. After reading other people's reviews of it, I realize that not knowing Yiddish was a big part of my problem. I can't recommend that book to anyone, so if you're wanting to read a Michael Chabon book, read The Amazing Adventures of Kavelier and Clay instead--much better!

No comments: