Monday, April 20, 2009

Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro *****






I have to say that I'm a little back logged. I've got a couple other books to review, but I just finished this one today & I have to write about it.

First off, I think it's the saddest, most heart-wrenching book I've ever read. I almost cried at the end, and though that might not sound like much, I was in the break room at work eating lunch at the time with a crusty old man. So I really really didn't want to cry in front of him, & I managed to keep tears from falling. But my eyes got pretty damn misty.

The book is about a boarding school in England. That's all I can really say, other than it's about the relationships among the students. Very vague, I know. But if I said anything else it would give away too much. From the second line in the book you'll be scratching your head, wondering what the heck the narrator is talking about. At first I thought, "It's those Brits. They use strange words for things." But oh, it's not that. Not at all.

Please read it. I can't say you won't be upset at the end, but it's necessary. Things need to be thought about.

No comments: