Saturday, December 27, 2008

The Memory Keeper's Daughter by Kim Edwards **

You know how you can read a book & not really figure out how you feel about it until later? That's how this book was for me. Initially I thought I liked it. It's about how people deal with a child with a developmental disability so I should like it, right?
It has a great premise, the giving away of an infant because she has Down's & how that haunts the rest of her family all of their lives. But I just got tired of it all. It's one of those books where you think you should have a real emotional epiphany at the end of it, but all you feel is glad that it's over. I've read some of the other reviews on Amazon & I have to agree with a lot of the 1 & 2 star ones in that it's just a bunch of slow, repetitive cliches. By the end you just don't care very much about any of them, & the reveal is so late in coming that it's very anticlimactic also.
Not recommended by me.

No comments: