Wednesday, August 13, 2008

A Small Town in Germany by John LeCarre *

I hate to do this, I really do.

You see, Dog got me this book after hearing about it on NPR one day & thought it sounded like something I'd like. And the premise is great--it's about Bonn in the '60's. I thought it would be informative & exciting, in a spy & espionage kind of way.

But instead, it was incredibly boring. So boring, in fact, that I couldn't finish it. So boring, I couldn't finish Chapter 2. So goddamn boring that even though my beloved Dog bought this for me as a gift, I couldn't painstakingly claw my way through it.

When I mentioned this to some of my reading pals at work, they informed me that John LeCarre (sorry Mr. LeCarre, I don't know how to put that little accent above the "e" in your last name) sucks. He's one of those guys that likes to get all technical on you, meanwhile he didn't notice you aren't reading his god-forsaken book anymore.

In his defence, this is the first John LeCarre book I've ever attempted to read. It was originally written in the '60's, which might explain a lot of the "WTF is he talking about?!?" factor.

Or, he could just suck.

No comments: