Saturday, May 10, 2008

The Joy Luck Club by Amy Tan ****

Obviously an older book (it came out 20 years ago now), I'd never read it even though I'd heard about it a lot. It was a well written book with interesting characters, & I felt particular empathy for Jing-mei Woo, one of the daughters. I think the reason I don't give it 5 stars is because of the way it made me feel--the competitiveness of the 4 mothers & using their daughters as an extension of that. I've felt that way myself, especially like Jing-mei, who didn't live a life worthy of boasting about. Her mediocre job, failed marriage, & the way she was confused about what she wanted in this life made her feel very inadequate compared to the other 3 daughters. For me, her story was the best part because she was a very real person who doesn't know her own strength & may never have to.

No comments: